1. Be alert and conscious of your surroundings when using the ATM.
2. Don’t use an ATM located in a dark or obscure location.
3. Never give your card or PIN( Personal Identification Number) to anyone, for any reason.
4. Be very conscious of persons hanging around the ATM machine Don’t write your PIN on the card or anything that is kept with the card.
5. Do not insert your card until asked to do so by the display screen
6. Never use an ATM with a blank screen and, if the ATM is obscured from view or poorly lit, leave immediately and find another ATM.
7. Stand close to the ATM and use your body and hand as shield to make sure nobody sees you keying in your pin
8. Never accept help from strangers when using an ATM. You should be wary of strangers asking for help. The elderly, or physically challenged persons should take along with them trusted persons to assist them.
9. Criminals work in teams- one to distract you while the other steals your card or money.
10. If your card is retained (swallowed) by the ATM it is advisable to contact your bank immediately
11. It is advisable to set a daily ATM withdrawal limit on your account.
12. Sign up for SMS alert, so that you are alerted whenever any withdrawal is made in your account.
Culled from www.npf.gov.ng